Tuesday, February 3, 2009

Shoplifter in Training

This one I got from a department store associate. And though not the most outrageous story I've heard, it's definitely different... and wrong.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Once day while monitoring the children's dressing room at my store, I noticed a man in the dressing room with his young daughter. Not thinking much of it, I continued cleaning out the clothes left in the empty dressing stalls. The stall next to theirs had a large pile of clothes on the ground. So I grabbed the first load and carries it out, but when going in for the second arm load I over heard the man in the next stall talking quietly to his daughter.

Realizing the conversation was a bit suspicious I paused for a moment to over hear him telling his daughter, "This is why you wear a big jacket with very little underneath. You can put on multiple layers of shirts and you can't tell once your jacket is back on." The conversation, that i now realized was a lesson in shoplifting continued like that.

So finally I knocked on the door, resulting in complete quite on the other side, and I politely asked "If you're going to teach your daughter to shoplift, please don't do it in my dressing room".

At this point I called in the store Loss Prevention Manager. And when the man and child had exited the store they were stopped. The man was outraged and accused the store of crossing the line. But considering the frightened child, no older than 6 or 7, opened her jacket to reveal the four shirts she had on underneath, if was definitely the man who has crossed the line.

No comments:

Post a Comment