Thursday, March 12, 2009

Language Barriers

When ever you work with people, especially customer service jobs, you are always going to encounter language barriers of some sort or another. I've helped many people who have spoken very little, to no English, and even at times deaf customers. Sometimes it's a challenge, but it is one of those things that feels good and rewarding when you ARE able to make some sort of connection without the language.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -


Recently at work, I had a group of customers with which communication proved a challenge.

I was going about my "work tasks", when a young girl came out of an aisle very quickly. She looked me dead in the eye, and said something very fast. And as it turns out, in French.

Confused, and said "Sorry?"

To which she started talking even faster in french, while rubbing her hand over her face in embarrassment.

I asked if she needed help, or had a question.

At this point her mother walks up and starts talking quickly with the girl, entirely in french.

As I stand there awkwardly, I can tel by the tone of the conversation, that it quickly moves from quick words, to flashes of anger. With the mother looking at me between sentences with death stares. While the daughter looks like she's about to cry.

And I'm still standing there. With no idea whats going on, but feeling like it would be extremely rude to just turn and walk away.

Finally, with no other ideas on how to move on and away from the missed placed angry looks, I ask them one last time if they had any questions.


To which the mother flashes me yet another angry looks, looks at her daughter and says one last thing to her, before barking at me in English "NO! OKAY?!"

So I made my slightly awkward exit, continuing on with my work. Occasionally coming across the group while I worked, who looked at me suspiciously each time they passed.

No comments:

Post a Comment